Wednesday, March 31, 2010

December 8th, 2009.

Is the night I attempted suicide.
And there is one thing about that night that stands out to me the most.
A man, I don't know his name, but I'll always remember him.
He was a young fireman in his mid to early twenties, and since firemen have EMT training, he was at my house when my mum called 911.
He sat down on my couch and asked me my name and my age.
I was crying hysterically and confused and panicking.
He wanted to calm me down, badly.
He began asking me about music, and under all of the emotions from the adrenaline and fear I was terrified he'd have a bad taste in music.
I told him Green Day was my favourite band.
He told me they were his too.
I listed off a few others, I believe I said;: Marilyn Manson, Sex Pistols, and Paramore.
The only I could think of.
"I LOVE MANSON!"
He looked so excited, I laughed through tears.
He asked me if I wanted to sit on my steps while the police took care of everything, since they already bandaged me up.
I said yes and he asked the officer in charge if he could, she was apprehensive, but she let him.
We got outside, it was chilly.
We continued our conversation, interrupted with my sudden outbursts of sobbing and sharply inhales.
It was silent for a moment.
"May I ask you why you wanted to kill yourself?"
I spilled all of my then problems to him.
I told him everything.
Everything that was going on.
School, Sam, Mackenzie, Cody, my mum, everything.
I broke down sobbing when I was done.
All that night, I had been begging people for a hug, but they said they couldn't because I was bloody.
And he hugged me, without my asking.
This man was so amazing, yet I never caught his name.
I want to meet him again, to hug him and thank him.
I don't even know his name, I didn't talk to him for more than twenty minutes and his last words to me were, "Good luck Lyndsey." when I was getting in the back of the cop car to go to the hospital.
I was a young girl with tears streaming down her face and clutching her stuffed dog named Strawberry.
And he listened to me.
I don't know if he judged me, but I hope he didn't.
I sounded crazy that night.
I never saw that man again.
But I will always remember his face.
If I ever see him again, I will hug him.
Every time I get upset, I do think of him. Because he gives me hope, knowing there are people in the world like him.
I miss him so much.
Writing this brings tears to my eyes.
He, is what I look for in someone I want to date.
Thank you, Mystery Man. For listening.

Amen,
Lyndsey.

No comments:

Post a Comment